Do you find that your are being woken up by thunder every night? Is your red-eyed spouse looking at you with hatred? These are clues that all is not well in the bedroom. I refer to the scourge of modern society, snoring. It is an insidious condition that can tear relationships apart. Though it is the subject of many jokes, it is a serious problem that is awkward to treat.
Some people have snored their way through decades without finding a suitable cure. Here is some information about the subject that you must know if you or your partner is a sufferer.
What Is Snoring?
Snoring happens when the tissues at the back of your throat relax and obstruct it. It is the movement of those tissues as you breath in and out causes the horrible sound.
There are many things that can lead to snoring. Sometimes it is a physical issue, and sometimes it is the lifestyle of the sufferer that causes the problem. Here are a few things for you to think about.
- Are you overweight? It is one of the leading causes of snoring and one that is treatable. Losing weight is never easy, but if you know it could cure the snoring it must be worth a try, don’t you think?
- Most of us love to drink alcohol. You partner might have mentioned how you snore every time you drink. Try to cut back on the alcoholic drinks and see if you snore less.
- An old person is more likely to snore than a young one. The tissue in your throat loses some rigidity; it is just a natural progression. You cannot get younger, so you must look for a suitable way to manage it.
- Smokers are more likely to snore than non-smokers. If you need an excuse to quit; this is it. Quitting is never easy, but it has so many health benefits that everyone must try.
Snoring can cause relationships to break down and poor health. Sleep is a vital part of our biorhythms, and if we do not get enough, it can lead to mental and physical problems. It is not necessarily the snorer that is affected, it could be those around them.
There are many treatments for snoring, and you must work through them until you find one that works for you. Compare snoring products to get an idea of what is out there. Here are a few things that could help.
- Mouthpiece. The mouthpiece pushes your lower jaw forward slightly to stop the throat closing. It is very effective and can offer an instant cure to your problem.
- Surgery. Some people who have a severe problem undergo surgery to remove some of the tissues. There is sometimes no alternative.
- Positive pressure. You can use a machine to blow air into your mouth at night via a mask. The constant air stream keeps your throat open.
If you think that some of the information here applies to you, pop along to your general practitioner and speak to them. They have heard it all before and will guide you towards the best options. If something does not work, don’t give up. Most people will find successful treatment eventually; it is just a process of elimination.